Tuesday, April 7, 2009

April 7 - 6 miles


Ugh.

Some days I just can't sit still - I love designing and computers but sometimes I wish I could work outside, or be standing. (or at least get a comfy, supportive desk chair...a girl can dream I suppose) Oh well. After work I headed to the gym (favorite treadmill was taken) and grabbed a treadmill looking out the window. It was super windy and chilly, but sunny today. Not great outdoor running weather. Denae was next to me for the first 2 miles, and we chatted about her recent trip to Guatemala. I felt good, running at least 6.2 mph and my HR hovering below 150 the entire first few miles. I upped the speed to 7.0, gradually, completing 6 miles in 57:40, and that included 4 one-minute walk breaks. With a bit more than a mile left to run, two ladies, obviously from the same workplace, were on the treadmills to my right. They were annoyingly loud and what bothered me most was that I had already run 5 miles and was running 6.7 mph while they walked at 3.5 miles per hour (slower than my cool down) while holding onto the rails. They were burning more calories with their foul mouths! The conversation (if I had to hear it, you do too) started off with one lady chronicling her day and how she did "so good" by having a shake for breakfast and some "blocker" pills (oh now that's healthy) and then gorged on food in the afternoon. The other lady replied with a very detailed list of all the Easter candy that's in her office. By the time she got to Whoppers and Twizzlers (really?) I considered flinging myself off the treadmill, but decided against it. Because it got better. I bit my tongue. Hard. Now granted I usually don't run with headphones, and today was no exceptiion, but seriously — do people not realize the person right next to you overhears everything you say? And when you're not talking PG, or even PG-13, it is not the best conversation for the treadmill at 6 p.m. (or anytime!) These ladies needed to be huffing it and attempting calorie burn and cardiovascular fitness, not galevanting along discussing raunchy topics. There's a time and a place...and this was neither. Despite that, overall a good run. 10 minutes on elliptical after then stretched. I'm surprisingly not sore from yesterday's personal training session. With that being said, we'll see what lies in store for me tomorrow...

No comments: