Friday, January 9, 2009

Unveiling the Garmin & missing a shot at fame?


Finally opening my Xmas present: Garmin Forerunner 405!
Where to begin -- seriously?

Tonight was the night. I finally set up the Garmin GPS running watch after it sat in its shiny new box begging for me to use it for a month. Technology can be so overwhelming to me sometimes. (it's happily charging as I write this) The goal is to try it out tomorrow morning. It's a clunker and will definitely take over my wrist, but I'm excited to know my pace and distance. Despite being horrendous at math I love data and statistics. Anything to keep my mind off the fact that I really have to run 26.2 miles in a month.

When I got home tonight I had a message on my home answering machine. It was from a reporter at the local newspaper who was collecting stories from people like me for the 26.2 With Donna Race. How cool. She wants to feature me! However, my smile fell when I heard "please call me back as soon as you can - my deadline is today." Too bad I haven't been home all day and I didn't get the message until 8:50 p.m.  I was a reporter in the past and know how deadlines are, so I'm sure that story is done and on the presses. Darn it. But my fantastic little project/"first time marathon" blog did make it onto the 26.2 With Donna Web site!

Also want to say good luck to my pals running in the Disney Marathon in Orlando on Sunday - I am SO proud of you...WOW! Laura especially, my running buddy, as it's her first. I am very proud of my co-worker and friend (and fellow Galloway girl) Audra, who will also tackle her first marathon at Disney with her soon-to-be-hubby, Andy. And Rachel, the old pro, my running advisor - you're a champ and will do just fine!

No comments: