Saturday, January 10, 2009

January 10 - Solo 16 Miles


About to embark on my solo running conquest...
Finished! Loved the watch. 16.04 miles in 2:55:49.

Was supposed to do 7 with the group this morning but it was across town and last week's 8 dragged on, so when the alarm went off, I went back and forth for a few before finally going back to sleep for another hour and a half. This was my first group run I've set out to attend and then not gone to. I got up, had some toast w/ cashew butter, and hit the door around 8:15 a.m. (44 degrees, 90% humidity). Hid a Gatorade in the bushes for later, turned the Garmin on and took off.  I glanced down to see I was running way too fast - 9 minute pace - when the group is supposed to be at 10:15 or so. So I tried to slow down and tried to walk every 3 1/2 minutes or so for a minute. I ran to the Town Center, past all of the stores, into Panera Bread around mile 4 for a quick cup of ice water, then ran past my friends' Amanda and Coler's apartment (just wanted to see if they were up walking the dog, but they weren't), then decided to continue on to UNF where I went to college. Had a bag of Luna Moons around mile 6. On the way, in running past PetsMart, I saw my old college math professor. Very random! I headed towards UNF where my co-workers, Kostas and Jin, would be playing tennis so I ran to say hi and to grab a water or Gatorade. Kostas said if I stayed to play tennis he'd drive me home after. I explained I had run 7 miles already and wasn't finished. I kept going, back out of UNF, through the town center (I had done about 9.3 miles - the equivalent to the Gate River Run 15k - in 1:42) and headed towards home. Around mile 8 I tried the vanilla Hammergel and it was pretty good, like warm runny cake icing. I stopped in the Daily's gas station for water, then knew I was ready for the homestretch. I ran by my house, grabbed the Gatorade which tasted like pure deliciousness  by this point at mile 14, and kept going. I ran a loop in a neighborhood then came back, finishing 16 miles in 2 hours, 55 minutes. My new shoes were fairly comfortable but left hamstring towards knee was super stiff again.  I did an ice bath though the water was too warm, and showered and ate. I then iced my left knee/IT band for too long and with the big ice pack directly on my skin (apparently a no-no), earning myself frostbite for the first time ever. OUCH!

1 comment:

TronWife said...

Good run! I'm jealous of the Garmin-I'm still with my Nike+ for now, be a while before I make the splurge and move up. I lived in Jax for 5 years before my husband got orders to WA-hearing about you run down there makes me miss it on days like today when the wind and rain were yucky to run in.