Friday, January 16, 2009

January 16 - Solo 20 miles

Weather for the start of my 20 mile run...

That's right - 20 miles in 3:46:27 ... in 39 degree weather.

Last night I attended Jacksonville Magazine's "Best of Jacksonville" party and chowed down on the area's top cuisine. Not exactly healthy and not exactly small quanities. Since I was invited last minute I had to nix my planned 5 mile run, meaning I hadn't run since Tuesday (5 mi) and that was my only run of the week. Bad. So today at work I realized that it'd be very chilly for tomorrow morning's 26-mile run. Everyone's told me not to do the full 26 prior to the marathon anyways but I've been going back and forth on how many miles I should do this weekend, since it's 4 weeks out. I decided I'd run this afternoon instead of tomorrow morning, so it'd be slightly warmer and it'd be over with. Breakfast was coffee, cantaloupe, watermelon, blueberries and a yogurt, and lunch was cinnamon Puffins cereal, a banana with lots of peanut butter - and two bottles of water. I took off in running tights, shorts (with Hammerfuel pinned to each side), long sleeve dri-fit shirt, hat, and trusty gloves and wore my older New Balance 1223s with inserts that were giving me issues a few weeks ago. The goal was to do 18-20 miles, if possible. I told myself I "had" to do at least 10. Around mile 4 I found a new park and ran in to check it out and use the water fountain. For about 13 miles I ran in an upscale neighborhood (with water fountain) and made my own loops and course. At miles 9 and 14 I had a Hammergel - first the banana then a raspberry, and since it was so cold it was very hard to squeeze them and they were more like thick toothpaste than maple syrup in consistency. As I trekked through the neighborhood that reminded me of Desperate Housewives' Wisteria Lane, I stopped a lady to ask how to get out of the neighborhood when I got lost - all the houses and streets started looking the same. When leaving the neighborhood I was at 16 miles, and was about a mile or so from home. I ran past home, grabbed the orange Gatorade (at this point the Gatorade was like pure bliss on my lips - it beat out the feeling of consuming a delicious dessert, it was just SO good at 17 miles) I put out for myself 3+ hours ago, and finished the 20 miles - in agony. My left IT band HURT badly. It was hard, and extremely sensitive to the touch. The pain arrived in full force around mile 15  and I felt stiff. And the outer part of my left foot was tender/sore again. Overall, I stretched well after but we'll see if I can move tomorrow..should be interesting. Despite the pain, I had a wonderful ice bath, hot shower and delicious dinner out - garlic bread, Greek salad and pizza (green pepper, mushrooms and eggplant, if you must know!). Mmmm.

No comments: