Sunday, February 15, 2009

I RAN A MARATHON!!!!!


Laura and me, mile 7 1/2 on the beach

The finish - Laura, me, Hannah - 5:05:31!!!!

No crazy churning feeling in my stomach today at all. I felt great, and was able to meet up with my runner friends before the race. Got up at 4:10, minutes before my alarm, drank a bottle of water and then had two pieces of Ezekial toast with cashew butter and a banana around 5:10 a.m. I lubed myself up with Body Glide galore (to prevent chaffing) and pinned Hammerfuel to my shorts, loaded up my baggie (gym, extra Hammerfuel, etc.) and we headed out around 5:40 and were luckily able to park close to the start, and walked to the runner's village. I met up with Laura, my running partner in crime, and Blythe, Kelly, Lisa, and others. Took pictures, used the port-o-potty twice to pee and headed to the start line. Laura and I decided to stick to the 3:30 to 1 minute run/walk ratio. We left Blythe and Kelly around mile 4, as they went off to do the half marathon. Up and over the intracoastal bridge was fine, and we entered onto the Jacksonville beach around mile 6 and ran until mile 8. We saw mom, Coler, and Katie under the pier and they snapped photos. Laura and I continued on, all through Atlantic and Neptune beach and the support was outstanding. The wind picked up but no sun, so we were happy, and the sand was very compacted. People all over the course decorated their clothes, houses, driveways, everything. They'd scream our names and offer us popsicles, oranges, beer (!?!), water, bananas, orange slices - you name it, it was offered. One woman had a lifesize (practically!) bottle of Aleve. I ran by an old college professor, and my eye doctor -- both were spectating. Laura stopped to use the bathroom twice along the way. I never went. We had fun and stuck to the 3:30/1 ratio. We ran by mom, Coler, Katie again - and co-workers Jin and Kostas were also there cheering us on. Around mile 10 I was well aware blisters were re-forming on my big toes but I didn't care. Laura and I kept smiling and yelling and watching the onlookers and their crazy signs and cheers. ("Free breast exam" said one and "Thanks for keeping our racks in tact!") Mile 14 to 15 seemed to drag on forever as it was a down and back turn and it was boring. The trees kept us shaded near the big houses in Selva Marina. Later we ran by Jen, Amanda, Justice, Clinton, and Anthony, which was cool - around mile 20. The sun came and went out of the clouds but for the most part it was breezy and overcast...absolutely wonderful running weather. We had a lot of fun and enjoyed the day. Around mile 21 I saw my co-worker Kim, who ran the half, and she jumped in an ran a few minutes with us. Then I saw another co-worker, Jennifer, and she did the same a little further down. It was great to see smiling, familiar faces. At mile 22 I saw my friend Jo and she came and gave me a huge hug and ran with us for a minute. At mile 23 we saw Justice by himself on the side of the road (such a much needed spot for a spectator...it was very quiet and boring before the onramp) and he wished us good luck as we headed up the dreaded ramp to the intracoastal. Laura informed me she was beginning to get disillusional at this point but I kept coaching her and was throwing out all the positive mantras I could. Between miles 23 and 24 I got a cramp in my right side. It hurt. We stopped to walk and I needed salt. Thankfully at mile 24 there was ActivWater, which I gulped two cups down, and said hi to Lisa and her mom who were at that water station. We knew there were only 2 more miles left (two!) and went over the larger incline of the intracoastal, and on the way down ran into Hannah, who finished the last 1/2 mile with us. Hannah, Laura, and I linked hands and finished the race together in 5:05:31! I was so excited. I felt great after. I don't think I hit a wall, and I didn't cry at all - like I'd thought I would. It wasn't overly emotional, but it was certainly exciting and a big accomplishment. Once we were picking off the miles...10...then 11...and 17..18..18..20 - I knew we could do it. I never thought "I can't do this." I knew I could and I knew we'd get there, even if we walked some up and on the bridge. It seemed just like another training run, but had a huge bridge at the end. I think if I hadn't had the cramp for those 2 miles I would have have a 100% stellar race. Afterwards I drank my recovery fruit punch Endurox (thank you Audra) and got my knees iced. I then had a 15 minute leg massage (best idea of the day! thank you Coler) and then shimmied over for a small cup of Alphabits soup (delicious) and half a banana. Took some more photos, continued smiling from ear to eat, said hi to other friends, and enjoyed the sense of being done. I felt fine, and ready for a shower. I took a nice Epson salt warm bath at home and examined my blisters - just two - one on each big toe, and I still have all my toenails. All I have to say to those people who say "I'm not a runner" is - you can seriously do ANYTHING you put your mind to. This shows it. It wasn't even blood, sweat, tears, it was more the two latter items, but mostly the middle one. And sweat doesn't hurt!

3 comments:

TronWife said...

WTG on your run! Great report, sounds like a wonderful experience!

jen said...

Yes!!! Congratulations, you are a marathoner! Your race sounds like a huge success, you ran strong and stuck to your strategy and it paid off. I love this report! Enjoy the post-marathon glow and recovery. You are amazing. :)

Brandy said...

Congratulations, Caron! Your experience is very motivating! Great job!!!!