Sunday, February 28, 2010

February 28 - 13.1 miles (Gasparilla 1/2 Marathon, Tampa)

At the Gasparilla Distance Classic Expo
Sprinting to the finish line!
Finished with my 6th 1/2 marathon - 2:08:47!
Downtown Tampa


After not enough sleep (maybe 5 hours, max), the 6 a.m. start time for Tampa's Gasparilla 1/2 marathon loomed - eeek! That's early. Breakfast (oatmeal, banana, peanut butter, water) at 3:50 a.m.? Yawn. I was attempting my second half marathon within a week, since I ran the Breast Cancer Marathon 1/2 last weekend in Jacksonville. The weather was fantastic; cold but not too cold. Long sleeve technical shirt, visor, shorts, compression calf sleeves, Etonic Prayas, mittens and kids' sweatshirt before the race. The first few miles were dark, which was pleasantly nice, and went by fast. Miles 4-6 were on Davis Island, which reminded me of certain areas in Jacksonville. I ran the first 5 mile straight, then stopped to walk when I needed. My left calf was nagging me the entire time. I took the lemon-lime Gatorade provided on the course often, and a GU at miles 6.5 and 10. I ran w/ my 8 oz bottle of water. Mittens came off at mile 7. Miles 8-11 were down and back along the bay, which was beautiful, but at the same time boring. Around mile 10.5 I was walking and heard noise behind me. The 2:10 pace group was approaching, and filled with energy! I ran the last part of the race with them (all running) and then pushed past them with a mile left to go. My Garmin read 13.3 miles when I finished, and my official chip time was 2:08:47 - 9 seconds faster than last week's time of 2:08:56! Another PR! The medal is the best part - emblazoned with a pirate, and the ribbon has colorful tropical designs, and black Nike swooshes. Overall I felt great and didn't even feel sick when I came across the finish line. Dinner the night before was vegetable soup, salad, creole shrimp and rice, and bread pudding at Dutch Valley in Sarasota. And I shared cupcakes that afternoon and had cupcakes for breakfast, in addition to soup and vegetarian chili for lunch.

No comments: