Saturday, August 9, 2008

August 9 - Galloway 4 miles

(Yes...that's sweat...)
Got into our magic mile pace groups - I'm in the 8:20 to 9:15 group. Summer is in my group as well. We did a down and back 4 miles (someone's Garmin said 3.89 but I'll take it), with a 3:1 run/walk ratio. It felt slow, but everyone says as the mileage increases we'll be thankful for the slower pace. I ran with Linda, a lady with a six-year-old daughter, who did the marathon for the first time last year in honor of a 34-year-old friend who had passed away due to breast cancer. 

In an effort to keep tabs on what works/doesn't work, I'm going to jot down what I did each run: had 1 piece of toast w/ peanut butter before leaving, and felt fine during the run. Wasn't too hot or humid since the course was all shaded nicely by big trees in Ortega. Tried out my new New Balance 100% polyester shirt and it was great! Same with the Nike Dri-Fit Gator hat. Also wore sunglasses. Time to purchase a watch though of some sort that can keep my pace/distance covered. Still looking to a Garmin but can't decide. 

After returning home & drinking some water, I decided to go do some sort of "run"/"jog" around the neighborhood. Did a down and back for 2 miles. Stopped at the 1 mile mark to try a Powerbar vanilla gel (actually tastier than expected - like a runny vanilla frosting) then ran back in the hot sun. Overall felt good, shins had a little bit of a tight feeling but overall was fine.

No comments: