Sunday, December 20, 2009

December 20 - Jax Bank 1/2 MARATHON!

Hannah!
Lisa, me, Audra post-race

Today I ran my....4th half marathon!

Burrr, after about 5 hours of sleep I woke up, and checked weather: 43 degrees, feels like 39 - winds NW at 6 mph, 72% humidity. Tights, shorts, dri-fit New Balance shirt, 26.2 with Donna longsleeve technical shirt, Nike hat, kid's gloves, socks, shoes. Wore a light fleece for the first three miles. (got way too warm with it on) Breakfast was the usual: banana, peanut butter, bread, and water, though around mile 2 and 3 I was hungry. Audra, Sarah, Lisa and I started out together and Lisa and Audra went ahead, then I left Sarah and ran with Summer, Hannah, and some other friends on and off. I jogged most of the first 6 to 8 miles. Around mile 4 I felt I needed to go to the bathroom (1) and that persisted throughout most of the race. I stopped for Gatorade (orange, my fav.) twice and took a tri-berry GU w/ caffeine around mile 8. At that point I was just ready to be done. I felt okay overall but was just bored and wanting to be finished. I kept going. Around mile 9.5, some of my favorite Galloway buddies - Dawn, Jennifer, and Hannah - came up behind me and Hannah stayed and ran the rest of the race with me. She wanted 4 to 1 run/walk ratios so we stopped for the minute breaks. This slowed my overall time down a bit but I still finished strong in 2:16:39, four seconds slower than my first half marathon last October. On the way home my stomach hurt - possibly from the Cantina Laredo for dinner last night (chips and guacamole, spinach salad, fajitas w/ shrimp, steak and chicken, 1 Dos Equis Amber - and - I skipped the dessert selection!).

No comments: